Thursday, May 26, 2016

Dr. Stan Ford: I recently performed in concert in memory of a student of mine, Stefan Buschmueller, who took his own life just over a year ago (YouTube 5:27)


Dr. Stan Ford writes from Austria:

Dear Bill


I recently had the distinct pleasure of performing in concert in memory of a student of mine, Stefan Buschmueller, who took his own life just over a year ago.

Throughout my 35 years + of teaching I have experienced a lot. However, nothing prepared me for experiencing a suicide death of a student of mine. He completed his piano studies the semester before and received a superior grade for his senior recital. He was a bright student with a very promising career ahead of him. For years he suffered chronic pain throughout his entire body. Doctors were unsuccessful in finding the source of the problem. This eventually led to bouts of depression. I always admired the fact that he bounced back and did not allow his handicap to keep him from reaching his goal. At the young age of 26 he took his life. I pray that he is now pain free and is in a better place. I will always fondly reflect back upon my student’s wittiness, his exceptional musicianship and intelligence, in addition to his willingness to help others and friendly demeanor.  May his soul rest in peace.

A video was made of me performing an improvisation of a Church hymn that evening, something my student and I had in common, improvising hymns during worship service. I wish to share the clip with you at this time.
Sincerely
Stan


No comments: