Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Kelly Hall-Tompkins: The New York Times: In ‘Fiddler on the Roof,’ a Title Role Shared Onstage and Off

Happy New Year to you and your family!  May your year be filled with love, joy, laughter, prosperity, and of course, great music!   In my new year, I am having a ball in my role as the Fiddler for Fiddler on the Roof on Broadway.  After a successful opening night on December 20th, I am honored that The New York Times chose to feature me in a story on the front page of Tuesday's Arts section.  The focus of the feature is in my capacity as the title role of the show, shared together with my new colleague, dancer Jesse Kovarsky who plays the Fiddler on stage.  Many thanks to conductor Ted Sperling, who, in his wonderful new orchestrations, created many more violin solos specifically for me than typically exist in the score, giving me so much to explore musically and dramatically.  And thanks to Oran El-Dor for his beautiful arrangements.  The music is such a joy to dive into day after day!
From time to time, I will be taking off from the show to play other concerts, and one of my terrific colleagues will sub for me.  I would love to see you and play for you at the show, so please check my website for dates that you can hear me as violin soloist. Tickets are available HERE on Telecharge. Please stop by and say hello!
Cheers,
Kelly

In ‘Fiddler on the Roof,’ a Title Role Shared Onstage and Off

By MICHAEL COOPERJAN. 3, 2016
Pop quiz: Who plays the title role in the new Broadway revival of “Fiddler on the Roof”?
Not Danny Burstein, though he gets top billing as Tevye, the dairyman and father at the heart of the musical. But he is only a fiddler in the metaphorical sense of all the villagers of Anatevka, trying to scratch out a simple tune without breaking his neck.
There are really two artists who can lay claim to the title role: Jesse Kovarsky, the dancer who strikes Chagall-worthy poses onstage while playing the violin version of air guitar; and Kelly Hall-Tompkins, the versatile violinist who makes the music come alive in the orchestra pit. More...

No comments: