Wednesday, January 30, 2013

AZCentral.com: '1/31-2/2: Thomas Wilkins conducts Phoenix Symphony'; Is Interviewed On Career in Music

[Thomas Wilkins (Blake J. Discher)]
 
Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:34 PM
Thomas Wilkins is headed to Phoenix to guest-conduct the Phoenix Symphony and Miriam Fried, one of the world’s pre-eminent violinists, in a concert that features Brahms’ Violin Concerto,” Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 5 and Márquez’s Danzón No. 2.

Wilkins, principal guest conductor at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles and music director of the Omaha Symphony, is the first Black conductor to hold a conducting position with the Boston Symphony.  We caught up with him to talk about the road that took him from a third-grade field trip to the Norfolk Symphony to the realization of a lifelong dream that trip inspired.

Question: Do you come from a musical family?
Answer: Yes and no. My mother was a church organist at one of these little storefront churches down South, but not on a consistent basis.

Q: What was your first instrument?
A: I started on violin in the fourth grade, but only because everyone had to start on violin. Then I was allowed to switch to an instrument of choice by fifth grade, so I switched to cello. Then tuba became my secondary instrument. And in college, tuba became my primary instrument. So I’m kind of a bass-clef guy.

Q: What inspired your passion for classical music?
A: I’ve wanted to be a conductor since I was 8 years old. This is a year before I started violin. My third-grade class got on a bus and went to hear this thing called the Norfolk Symphony. This man comes out and starts to wave his arms and this incredible sound happens. I thought, “Gosh, that’s where I want to be is right there in the middle of all that.” So that became my lifelong dream.

No comments: