Monday, July 30, 2012

AfriClassical.com Update on J.S. Mzilikazi Khumalo Includes Name on Music, Spirituality and Family

[J.S. Mzilikazi Khumalo Conducting (Peter Mogaki)]

James Stephen Mzilikazi Khumalo (b. 1932) has been the subject of many articles resulting from observances of his 80th birthday on June 20, 2012.  Several facts elicited by the reporting on his life and career have been noted in a revision of the J.S. Mzilikazi Khumalo page at AfriClassical.com from an article July 9, 2012 at SundayWorld.co.za:

Mzilikazi
SundayWorld paid tribute to James Stephen Mzilikazi Khumalo on July 9, 2012, shortly after his 80th birthday, celebrated June 20, 2012.  The article by Mzwandile Kabizokwakhe was entitled Up Close & Personal with James Stephen Mzilikazi Khumalo:

"It was only when I was older and I composed my first work of music that I started using Mzilikazi exclusively as my signature on my work."


Spirituality
Born to deeply religious parents, Andreas and Johanna, Khumalo imbibed a spirituality he has transferred to all his musical compositions from his first work Ma Ngificwa Ukufa in 1958 to his current composition Hallelujah Mdumiseni Nonke - written in the rondo style.


Family
Khumalo, a high school teacher by training, and his wife, Ditlhare, have four children who he says are not that musical.

"My third son has a degree in music but is a church minister and my first daughter sings but is a medical doctor," he says.

No comments: