Monday, October 24, 2011

“I will never forget sitting next to Adolphus Hailstork during what I believe was the debut of 'Done Made My Vow'”

[Adolphus C. Hailstork]

On Oct. 23, 2011 AfriClassical posted a comment from Dr. Myron D. Moss of Drexel University: “The discography for Adolphus Hailstork at AfriClassical.com does not include a recording we actually NAMED for his music.”

Violinist Phyllis Fleming recalls the experience of sitting next to Adolphus Hailstork for what she believes was the first performance of his choral work Done Made My Vow:

“Dear Bill,
As always, I am grateful to you and your dedication to AfriClassical for documenting the accomplishments of these composers. I had the pleasure of working with Adolphus Hailstork and Hale Smith in the 1980s when I was Education Coordinator for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Their works were featured on the annual 'Classical Roots' performances. It is wonderful to finally see these compositions appear on orchestral repertoire listings throughout the year, from season to season, around the globe.

“I will never forget sitting next to Adolphus Hailstork during what I believe was the debut of 'Done Made My Vow', featuring the Brazeal Dennard Chorale and the DSO. Although composers are the first to 'hear' their works as they create them, they actually experience the 'birth' of these masterpieces during the first public performance. Phyllis” [Adolphus C. Hailstork (b. 1941) and Classical Roots are featured at AfriClassical.com, which features the complete Works List for Hale Smith, compiled by Prof. Dominique-René de Lerma, http://www.CasaMusicaledeLerma.com]

No comments: