Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Prof. Dominique-René de Lerma: Lecolion's bassoon 'performance is really splendid in every respect.'

[Legacy: Works For Bassoon By African-American Composers; Lecolion Washington, bassoon; Albany Troy1038 (2008)]

Earlier today, AfriClassical posted: “Bassoon Music Reviews: 'Bassoon Sonata' of Ulysses Kay is 'perhaps the most fascinating work I've encountered yet.'” The bassoonist Lecolion Washington has replied: “Bill, Thank you so much for the review! I hope you are doing well. Lecolion”

Prof. Dominique-René de Lerma, http://www.CasaMusicaledeLerma.com, tells us he discovered the Bassoon Sonata:

“I found Kay's bassoon 'sonata' (a one-movement work), a previously unknown composition, which I showed to my colleague at Lawrence, Monte Perkins, who gave the première very soon thereafter. Before I could realize my intent to publish it (after going through all the permission routines), it was issued. If there were a previous performance, it would have been at Yale. Lecolion's CD is an anthology of wonderful new works, never previously recorded, and his performance is really splendid in every respect.

No comments: