Saturday, July 9, 2011

Barbara Wright-Pryor: Performances of Ellington's 'My People' in 1963 coincided with 'historic March on Washington'

[Duke Ellington's My People Original Cast Album; Contact Records.]

Duke Ellington (1899-1974) is profiled at AfriClassical.com. Barbara Wright-Pryor, President, Chicago Music Association, writes about the historic timing of the Chicago performances of Duke Ellington's 1963 musical revue My People:

“Dear Bill,
Thank you again. I would love to see this period piece re-staged for newer audiences to enjoy. It was performed during the height of the Civil Rights Movement.

"'My People' was being performed in Chicago (August 16-September 2) when the historic March on Washington took place August 28, 1963 during which Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave the legendary 'I Have a Dream' speech.
Musically yours,
Barbara

No comments: