Sunday, April 24, 2011

Dr. Gary Burgess of Bermuda composes 'piano concerto, based on melodies of China'

[Dr. Gary Burgess]

On Dec. 27, 2010 AfriClassical posted: "Dr. Gary Burgess, Prof. Emeritus, Dir. of Bermuda Philharmonic, wrote 'Dawn of a New Day' & 'The Bermuda Symphony.'" We offered to post information on his two symphonies or other compositions. Dr. Burgess contacted us upon his recent return from an extended sojourn in China:

“Dear Bill,
I have been in China working for the New National Arts Center, and the Central Conservatory. I have now returned to Bermuda, after a very long absence. I am still singing, against all odds, I have two more concerts - Mozart's Requiem and Gounod's St Cecelia Mass. I pray that they will be the last.

“As for my two symphonies: The first is titled DAWN OF A NEW DAY. It is scored for full orchestra, SATB chorus, and a SATB quartet. The first performance was with the Bermuda Philharmonic. The second symphony was also performed in Bermuda, celebrating the 500th year of the discovery of Bermuda, also scored for full orchestra, SAYB chorus, and SATB quartet.”

“I have also written:
1 piano concerto, based on melodies of China
3 Song cycles
1 String Quartet
Many Octavo pieces for Chorus, church Choirs

"I am now in the process of doing a new edition of Dido And Aeneas. I have also just finished editing and writing 99 Children's songs, Lyrics and music by Persis Butler, to be published for the music programs in public schools. I hope that this will help you.
Many Thanks,
Sincerely
Gary Burgess"

No comments: