Friday, December 25, 2009

Conductor & Composer Paul Konye Credits Akin Euba & Samuel Ekpe Akpabot in Interview




[ABOVE: “Made in the Americas, Volume One, Set One: Symphonies & Soundscapes, The Music Of Living Composers From The Americas”; Millennium Symphony; Robert Ian Winstin, conductor; ERM Media 5572 (2009) BELOW: Dr. Paul Konye]

On June 7, 2008, AfriClassical posted: “Millennium Symphony Will Record 'A Tone Poem for Africa' of Nigerian Composer Paul Konye.” The 2-CD set has since been released as “Made in the Americas, Volume One, Set One: Symphonies & Soundscapes, The Music Of Living Composers From The Americas”; Millennium Symphony; Robert Ian Winstin, conductor; ERM Media 5572 (2009). Paul Konye's composition, “A Tone Poem for Africa” (5:36) is included.

DebateAndReview.com
Feyi Raimi-Abraham interviews Dr Paul Konye, Nigerian Violinist, Conductor, Composer and Associate Professor of Music – Siena College, New York.
FRA Are there any other academically trained Nigerian conductors:
PK None that I know of at this point.
FRA What was your upbringing in Nigeria like?
PK I had a very fortunate upbringing in Nigeria in that I was raised by exceptionally loving parents who instilled proper values in me.
FRA How did you start playing the violin?
PK Though my love of music started in the Catholic Church, I had always wanted to play the violin but I did not get to study the violin formally until I declared to study Music (instead of the Sciences) as a teenager, during my A-level years at the Ibadan Polytechnic.
FRA You studied with prominent Nigerian musicians like Prof. Laz Ekwueme, Ada Fiberesima, Akin Euba, and Sam Akpabot – what was that like?
PK My interaction with the named icons of Nigerian art music was and remains invaluable. Each one of them provided me with uniquely different perspectives on music, and that has significantly shaped as well as added to the totality of who I am today, professionally." [Samuel Ekpe Akpabot and Akin Euba are profiled at AfriClassical.com]

No comments: