Friday, November 27, 2009

Darryl Taylor Offers Condolences on Passing of Composer Hale Smith



[“Music of Hale Smith”; CRI 860 (2000)]

John Malveaux informs AfriClassical: “Darryl Taylor sent a message to the members of African American Art Song Alliance":
"Subject: Hale Smith, June 25, 1925 - November 24, 2009
It is with a heavy heart that I must announce the passing of the brilliant composer/arranger, Hale Smith. Hale passed away on November 24th. I will forward service information when it becomes available. In the meanwhile, I'm sure I am joined by a host of you who knew and loved the man and his music. Our heartfelt condolences go to his wife and steadfast companion, Juanita."

1 comment:

Charles Darden said...

I will always remember Hale Smith's encouraging words and advice to me as a young black conductor. He also urged to write and perform "Great Scott!" the story of the life of Scott Joplin, which I continue to perform. Thank you Hale. Charles Darden (darjop@aol.com)