Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Paul Konye Composes and Conducts “A Tone Poem for Africa” for Award of Honorary Degree

Today AfriClassical learned of A Tone Poem for Africa, composed by Dr. Paul Konye, Assistant Professor of Music at Siena College. It was commissioned for the May 18, 2008 award of an honorary doctorate to Ms. Immaculee Ilibagiza. The Siena Commencement Orchestra was conducted by Paul Konye, who writes: “I thought I should let you know that over this past weekend, Siena College honored Ms. Immaculee Ilibagiza (The miraculous survivor of the 1994 Rwandan Genocide and the author of the New York Times best seller "Left to Tell”) with an honorary doctorate. For this occasion the College Commissioned me to write her a special musical tribute. The video of this music is available at my website at http://www.siena.edu/konye Thanks again for all your activities for the common cause.





1 comment:

AJ Gerritson said...

Dr Konye,
I think this is a wonderful tribute to Immaculee. She is an amazing woman. My church group is going on a pilgrimage with Immaculee to several holy sites in Europe. I would love it if we could do something with your music there. Here's the mission info: http://www.prweb.com/releases/Immaculee/Fatima/prweb1003344.htm